The Sports and Play Construction Association is the recognised trade organisation for the UK’s sports and play facility construction industry. Formed in 1997, SAPCA is a non-profit-seeking body with over 200 member companies and organisations. SAPCA represents specialists in the design, procurement, construction and maintenance of the country’s sports and play facilities, from grassroots through to high-level competition and training.
Through its Quality System, SAPCA’s works to ensure that every project delivered by its members meets customer expectations, is designed, built and maintained to last, while delivering excellent value for money.
What are we looking for?
SAPCA is seeking a volunteer to join the Board as an independent director. The Board is responsible for setting the Association’s strategic direction; it is also responsible for ensuring the prudent deployment of the organisation’s resources and the best use of those resources to meet its purpose and outcomes. The Board ensures that accountability to key stakeholders and members is effective and robust.
- With fellow Board members, sets SAPCA’s vision, mission, values and standards and ensures that its obligations to its stakeholders and others are understood and met.
- Sets and monitors performance indicators to measure the performance of SAPCA across its range of operations.
- Promotes good governance and ensures that SAPCA’s affairs are conducted in accordance with best practice.
- Contributes to the effective governance of the SAPCA through membership of any committees or working groups.
Finance and risk
- Ensures the integrity of financial information, approving each year’s budget and plans.
- Establishes and oversees a risk management framework and a system of internal control.
Working with the SAPCA team
- Establishes a strong working relationship with other Board members, the Chief Executive and team members but provides appropriate constructive challenge when necessary.
- Regularly attends, prepares for and fully participates in meetings, contributing particular expertise where relevant.
- Reviews the effectiveness of the Board as a team and as an individual Board member and participates in any training and development identified.
- Accepts collective responsibility with other Board members for any decisions made by the Board.
- Declares any relevant interests and avoids conflicts of interest.
Promoting the organisation
- Acts as an ambassador for SAPCA externally and helps to build its brand and public image, as directed by the Chair of the Board and the Chief Executive.
- Represents SAPCA with key stakeholders, members and attends ad-hoc meetings as required.
How to apply
Please send an expression of interest, together with a CV, to:
Mr Christopher Trickey
The Sports and Play Construction Association
Closing date 31 May 2021.