Sport Northern Ireland (formerly the Sports Council for Northern Ireland) has been in business for twenty five years. Sport NI has three policy objectives:
- to increase and sustain committed participation, especially amongst young people
- to raise the standards of sporting excellence
- to promote the good reputation and efficient administration of sport
To achieve its overall aim of developing sport from grass-roots to elite standard, Sport NI works closely with other organisations.
Its main partners include:
- district councils
- education and library boards
- governing bodies of sport
- government departments and statutory agencies
- voluntary clubs and organisations
- the education sector
- the commercial sector
Sport NI is also responsible for distributing Lottery Sports Fund awards.